ABOUT YOUR RESIDENTS' ASSOCIATION
The Bordeaux South Residents' Association (BSRA) is a group of volunteering residents who are voted in annually, by fellow residents, to initiate and lead projects for the betterment of the suburb – projects that are only possible with YOUR involvement and monthly levy contribution.
The BSRA is active in:
- Leading security upgrades for the suburb such as: Suburb Closure, Proactive Patrolling, Monitored Cameras.
- Promoting Community Involvement: The BSRA tries to unite the community by maintaining a database of e-mail addresses and distributing bi-monthly newsletters.
- Enhancing Environmental Development: The BSRA liaises with Johannesburg City Parks to initiate landscaping projects such as the suburb entrances, re-doing of our parks, planting of trees and installation of park benches and general beautification in and around our suburb using donated plants and rocks.
- Acting as a liaison between the municipality and residents who need assistance with their unresolved issues.
- Being the centre point of information for all residents, bringing the community together to create a better living environment for all.
- Looking out for the well being of all Bordeaux South Residents.
We are all in this together, whether you realise it or not – and we are glad you are visiting our site. This is our online meeting place, where we organise our activities, keep you informed, share ideas, and publicise our mission.
We work together to make our suburb a safer place for all, and to reach out to residents who share our vision. Whether you’re ready to make a difference or have photos or articles to share about a recent event, here’s the place to do it.
I am of the opinion that my life belongs to the
community, and as long as I live it is my privilege
to do for it whatever I can. ~ George Bernard Shaw
GOALS FOR 2013
The BSRA, acting on behalf of the residents, believes in actively furthering everything that is necessary to preserve the character and atmosphere of our neighborhood, while safeguarding and promoting the interests of the residents. As residents, we have been attracted to the suburb because of its unique leafy village-like character, it’s centralised location, the schools, the sports fields, the open spaces, the river and the overall ‘walkability’ of the area. We believe that this should be preserved and enhanced:
- Continue to promote CSS Tactical as the preferred security provider for Bordeaux South.
- Implement guards at the booms from 18h00-06h00, 7 days a week.
- Implement electronic booms to better manage traffic flow.
- Implement dummy cameras on pedestrian gates along Jan Smuts Ave and other gates.
- Continue to promote security education amongst the suburb’s domestic staff, on a monthly basis.
- Promote the advantages of joining the BSRA, and encourage more residents to join and contribute on a regular basis.
- Implement a better levy monitoring system that will remind residents who forget to pay their monthly levies.
- Continue to distribute the BSRA Contributor Boards to all contributing members
- Continue to promote the Alexander Forbes Insurance Scheme so as to benefit from a commission income.
INFRASTRUCTURE & MAINTENANCE
- Implementation of 5 additional traffic calming measures on Main St.
- Reduce the speed limit on our roads to 40km/h.
- Maintain the cleanliness of our roads and sidewalks with the help of our maintenance personnel.
- Maintain orderly working of street lights.
- Ensure that Joburg Water excavations are fixed as soon as possible.
- Ensure that potholes are filled and repaired as soon as possible.
- Ensure that street bins are emptied regularly and on time.
- Ensure streets are painted and properly marked.
ENVIRONMENT & GARDENS
- Purchase a Golf Cart for the suburb to assist with maintenance.
- Continue to upgrade Main Street and increase beautification.
- Promote clean and tidy verges by all residents.
- Ensure that all parks are maintained, cut and clean.
- Ensure that trees are trimmed to ensure proper street lighting.
- Addition of a large jungle gym at Bordeaux’s main park.
- Encourage residents to report problem properties and illegal businesses.
- BSRA to liaise with the City Council to enforce implementation of better property management and address enviro-health issues.
COMMUNICATION & BRANDING
- Maintain a monthly newsletter to all residents.
- Broaden the BSRA email database by reaching out to more households
- Implementation of BSRA branding on all communication and roadside signage.
We look forward to taking Bordeaux to the next level in terms of our security
achievements and depend on each one of you to make this happen!
Email us to find out how you can make your contribution.
Whether you are a lifetime advocate or new to our cause, we invite you to join us. We welcome new ideas and value enthusiasm from members and volunteers, new and old. Click here to become a member.